1) 0:00 – There Isn’t A Clear External Goal For The Main Character
2) 4:07 – Concept Is Soft
3) 5:20 – Writer Has No Personal Connection To The Story
4) 9:18 – The Wrong Genre
5) 12:33 – Skipping The Set-Up
6) 13:45 – In Addition To Obstacles, Create Learning Moments For The Main Character
7) 16:18 – Choosing The Wrong Lead
8) 16:41 – Having The Main Character Chase After The Goal Too Soon
9) 17:47 – No Ticking Clocks, Raising Stakes, and Good News / Bad News
10) 20:21 – Leaving Out The Conflict
11) 20:53 – Not Being Open To Surprises
12) 22:26 – Writing A Story That Meanders
13) 24:09 – Where Are The Peaks and Valleys?
14) 26:38 – Creating One Dimensional Characters
15) 29:26 – Writing Characters With No Flaws
16) 32:22 – Not Being Vulnerable
17) 34:18 – Holding Back
18) 35:35 – There’s No Emotional Connection To The Story
19) 37:37 – Writing About Pain At The Wrong Time
20) 39:51 – Wrong Story
21) 42:08 – Not Pushing Yourself After The First Draft
22) 44:44 – Never Letting Go
23) 47:28 – Desperation
24) 48:48 – Don’t Be Consumed About Selling A Screenplay While You Are Writing It
25) 50:34 – Don’t Waste People’s Time With Sloppy Work
26) 54:55 – Learn The Phrase, “I’ll Take A Look At It”
27) 56:48 – Avoiding The Process
28) 58:02 – Not Believing In Yourself
29) 1:00:25 – Don’t Be Afraid To Develop Your Own Voice And Style
If you enjoyed this video, please consider our upcoming event with Pamela Jaye Smith on October 23rd, 2018 from 7-9pm in North Hollywood. More information here on Eventbrite.
MYTHIC CHALLENGES: Create Stories that Change the World
Is your story issue-oriented? Do you want to raise awareness and motivate your audience to action? Put yourself ahead of the curve-of-change with the story tools in this seminar.
In this 2 hour speaker series (that will include Q&A) mythologist, author, international consultant-speaker, and award-winning writer-producer-director Pamela Jaye Smith will help you learn to use the classic story tools of Mythic Themes, Archetypes, and Symbols to give your story global appeal.
“Hi, Mom!” Zooppa has partnered up with T-Mobile on a brand new project! T-Mobile gives its customers unlimited data and texting in over 140 countries and destinations—at no extra cost. T-Mobile wants to inspire those customers to travel and get off-the-beaten path—to be explorers, not tourists—and unlock adventures they can share when they take their phones. The ‘Hi, Mom’ project focuses on sharing the most extreme moments of adventure outside of the United States with family and friends back at home.
The project is open for submissions until February 21st, 2017 at 4:00 PM PST. There are $40,000 in total cash awards available that will be assigned to the top eight videos chosen by T-Mobile. In addition to the cash awards, all winning videos will also be featured on T-Mobile’s social and web platforms or as a part of a compilation celebrating adventurous moments from around the world.
THE WEEKEND SAILOR is a new feature documentary about the unexpected victory of the Mexican yacht Sayula II in the first crewed sailing race around the world in 1974. The most demanding sailing quest in history.
Sailor, Ramon Carlín visits his rebellious son, Enrique in the United Kingdom and comes across a magazine advertising a sailing race around the world. Although he had been sailing casually for two years, Ramon embarks on this race and brings his son along as an opportunity to not only teach him discipline but real life experiences as well.
Catch 22: based on the unwritten story by seanie sugrue: With Hurricane Sandy looming on the horizon, five hard-lived friends come to from a send-off celebration alongside an unexplained dead girl. What are friends for?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT): Zooppa and Nickelodeon are inviting filmmakers and motion graphic artists from around the world to reimagine TMNT on a global scale through depicting what they are up to in various home towns or cities. The goal is to show how the Turtles would come to life in any given location, using local city or pop culture influences to help tell the story. Zooppa and Nickelodeon are looking for imagination and creativity, the videos made should be a fun way to share Turtle stories from across the globe––authenticity is key!
The project is open for submissions until February 23rd, 2017 at 4:00PM PST. There are $25,000 in cash awards available to the top 10 videos that will be chosen by Nickelodeon.